Modern nasal steroids such as Beconase™ , Rhinocort® , Flixonase™ and Nasonex® are proven safe for long term treatment. They should not be confused with dangerous anabolic steroids abused by some athletes – you will be perfectly eligible for the Olympics on these treatments. Potential side-effects of being “on steroids” are minimal because the total dose is small, and very little of the small dose taken is absorbed into the body. However, you might get local side-effects, such as nosebleeds. Occasionally, nosebleeds can be bad enough to stop you taking nasal steroids.
1. Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cap. (Figure 1)
2. Gently blow your nose.
3. Close one nostril and put the nozzle into the other nostril as shown. (Figure 2) Tilt your head forward slightly, keeping the bottle upright.
4. Start to breathe in gently or slowly through your nose and whilst you are breathing in squirt a spray of fine mist into your nose by pressing down ONCE with your fingers.
5. Breathe out through your mouth. Repeat step 4 to inhale a second spray in the same nostril if applicable.
6. Remove the nozzle from this nostril and breathe out through the mouth.
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 for the other nostril (Figure 3).